Hello to all! Welcome to the singing student’s forum, a space to share support, gain resources and have fun with other singing students located across Bristol!

Alke Schwarz

60 replies, 1 voice Last updated by Eliza Jane Fyfe 1 year, 9 months ago
  • Creator
    Topic
    Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant

Here are all your notes for each lesson!

Viewing 20 replies - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups:
    – Vowel Scales WITHOUT glottal stop
    – Minor Bella Senoras – good work!

I Predict A Riot:
    – Every time the melody goes up, actually go up to that note – bring it up into your mouth!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Theory:
    – Vowel scales a cappella
    – Major and minor Bella Senoras (gap bigger between 3rd and 5th when it’s minor)

I Predict A Riot:
    – Great take including double tracking! Sent you it by email
    – Be careful with those minor 3rds
    – Practice the intro “oh”s

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

I Predict A Riot:
    – Great finished product – see what you think – I emailed it too you – I added further ideas… mainly drum and bass! Thinking it needs more treble now? All about that bass, bout that bass, no treble!
    – Great work singing it through at the end – despite no warm up!
    – Now practice with the track!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

I Predict A Riot:
    – Great work with this today! Think about instruments you want to add…

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Grade 3 Theory:
    – Good work with melodic recall
    – Good work with identifying notes and symbols in the music – let’s use Jar Of Hearts for this part of the test

I Predict Riot:
    – Added more bass in the bridge

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups:
    – Work on finding your chest voice strength/loudness a little quicker (na/yeah to help)
    – Great split of chest and head voice, that’s really improved
    – Great belting, let’s keep working on that top C

I Predict A Riot:
    – Great work on this today! So exciting. Let’s continue next week…

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups:
    – Practice your semitones

Make You Feel My Love:
    – “is on your case” – “is, on” are just a semitone apart
    – Chorus: Break back to chest on “mind/that”
    – Practice “nothing that I wouldn’t do” with Adele
    – Decide what your improvisation is, add some runs too
    – Fabulously belted last chorus!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Theory:
    – Questions – a lot better, just make sure you really understand the difference between D.C./D.S. codas
    – Melodic Recall – play around on the piano with different little melodies and sing along

Jar Of Hearts:
    – Well done with sorting the intro timing out
    – Great high notes, just widen your mouth more like a twang. This doesn’t mean sing louder!
    – Work on a stronger head voice

Next week: Major and minor & Make You Feel My Love. Also we could work on a proper backing track for I Predict A Riot? Maybe something for the Summer Showcase?

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Grade 3:

Well done going through everything except the questions! Which we will do next time. (See above)

More work needed on:
    – Major and minor!
    – Melodic Recall

Ain’t Got No:
    – A lot better, free from the pressure of the actual exam!
    – Just go over a few of those quick intervals a bit more, plus the gaps. A much better ending though!

Pick a song for next time!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups:
    – La la la 4ths and 5ths (listen to recording)
    – Belt up to a C regularly! You sung on an open vowel very clearly and capably

I Predict A Riot & Improvisation:
    – Pronounce every word clearly! No slurring: it’s all just acting. You sounded much better the second time round!
    – Great work trying the different harmonies for the bridge part – it doesn’t matter if you sing the note wrong, just sing! Then you can actually hear the note that you land on in order to correct it
    – Don’t let your head get in the way, affecting your confidence and then making you regress… use the frustration to make you get it right. You know what the notes are, so prove to yourself that you can nail it!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

New Song Ideas:

Sweater Weather
    The Hunter
    I Predict A Riot
    Low Life

I Predict A Riot (broken down on piano)
    – When making a song softer, really pronounce the words and make sure we can hear the phrasing clearly
    – Practice ad lib on the bridge. Vary as much as possible, take it high, take it low, add trills and runs – whatever you like! Just don’t forget to breathe. It doesn’t have to be one long note…

We will be coming back to grade songs in a couple of weeks!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Theory Exercises:
    – Good today!
    – Try a bit more improvisation – it can be to literally any song. It’s more about confidence!

Ain’t Got No:
    – Great tone, but you need to really get up there on those high notes straight away
    – Go over the chorus notes (G to A for “got my hair, got my head” – next door notes. Ignore the slide)

Jar Of Hearts:
    – I would go over this religiously over the next few days. Listen to the original and copy it exactly. That’s how it’s written. Then just sort your page turning
    – You still need to get the intro in time

Make You Feel My Love:
    – This is my favourite one that you sing but your head voice disappeared today. A decent warm up will fix this
    – “and the whole world is on your case” – “on” doesn’t jump up as high as you think (another next door note!)
    – Show off your ad lib skills in the instrumental! Just a few oo’s and aah’s

For all songs: Check each note carefully – especially if you’re not sure! You can just play them on the piano.
    Page turning: Make sure you know the next line so that page turning doesn’t make you stop singing! We will work on the organisation of the page turning on Thursday – I will have a music stand

A few of the questions & answers for you:

Vocal Break:
    The vocal break is the certain part in our range where we can’t seem to go any further in chest voice and it does a ‘flip’ or ‘change of gear’ into head voice or falsetto tone.

Codas:
    – D.C. al Coda is a musical direction used in sheet music. It literally means, “da Capo al Coda,” or “from the head to the tail”. It directs the musician to go back and repeat the music from the beginning (“Capo”), and to continue playing until one reaches the first coda symbol.
    – D.S., or Dal Segno, means “from the sign.” It directs the player to return to a spot earlier in the score that’s marked by the symbol. If the marking says D.S. al Coda, then the player is supposed to play from the to a “To Coda” marking, then jump to a coda section at the end of the music.
    – Al Fine: The Italian musical phrase al fine (“to the end”) is an indication to play to the end of the music, or until you reach the word fine.
    – Coda: The concluding passage of a piece or movement, typically forming an addition to the basic structure.

Come to lesson on Thursday really well warmed up in the high range!

Read this:
    https://www.rslawards.com/music/graded-music-exams/vocals/grade-three

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Grade 3:
    – Confidence in that improvisation! You know what you’re doing really…
    – Make sure you go through ALL those mp3 files
    – Perfect the intervals… and of course the songs! Just work yourself hard on everything 😉

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Bring Him Home:
    – Beautiful… very moving! Sing it just like that at the audition…
    – Just be wary of those dotted rhythms…

On My Own:
    – Also beautiful! Just work on those intervals a bit more
    – Be careful that the low notes aren’t sharp
    – Don’t be too harsh with the change back to chest voice; try to blend the voices more
    – Turn the page early enough to read the next lot of words! Or better still, learn them!
    – Make sure “that” goes down
    – Work on finding your note on “I” for the key change
    – Just go through that ending a bit more

I know I’ve said a lot for On My Own, but it really is so nearly nailed! Just throw yourself into the character and it will be fine 🙂

GOOD LUCK! xxxxxxx

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups:
    – Lip trills (think of the balance of air and sound together with the power from the diaphragm)
    – Slides

On My Own:
    – Go over the sections with the key changes a bit more
    – Read those notes! Play them on the piano to help you

Use this:

Bring Him Home:
    – Make sure your long notes aren’t too “drone” like! Give every long vowel sound a shape, a meaning and dynamics! Otherwise very good for your voice 🙂
    – Again, read the notes

Use this:

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Jar Of Hearts:
    – Really spend some time on that intro to get used to the timing
    – Belt on “but I have grown too strong” then head voice for “to ever fall”
    – Middle 8: Soft chest voice, don’t go flat on the runs at the end, but gently come into a thicker chest voice
    – Long “alllll… your-promises”
    – Middle 8: All in chest voice, until all (AL!) but try it in chest if poss!

Let’s record Bring Him Home!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Singing with Jasmine & Shreya – Rolling In The Deep
    – Thanks for getting involved on the spot!

Questions:
    – You did well with this
    – Go over the ones you’re less sure about and look up definitions (especially the difference between break and transition)
    – Coda stuff: https://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Finale2012Mac/Content/Finale/D_S_D_S_al_Coda.htm

Make You Feel My Love:
    – Study those notes carefully! Same as Adele, so read the notes and sing with her
    – Head voice for chorus, but maybe later try and belt it
    – Shout out “hey!” and “oi!” to find that reflex, effortless, high and loud sound!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Theory:
    – Transition getting better
    – Work on a stronger head voice so that your voice doesn’t suddenly dip out when singing a melody
    – Minor Bella Senoras – getting there, but work on the flat “sen”!

Ain’t Got No:
    – Much better but still need to tidy up the places where the jumps verses the same notes occur
    – Chorus: One note up from G to A – play it on the piano to aid you

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Minor Scales:
    – Very good
    – Work on minor Bella Senoras (playing and singing) then try the exercise in the book really slowly with breaths where needed

Ain’t Got No:
    – Bitesize revision – small sections e.g. where the notes are the same, or big jumps
    – Practice the way we did today

Make You Feel My Love:
    – Listen to Adele’s version to learn the variations, then sing on your own!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Minor 3rd:
    – Practice at home WITHOUT the major 3rd
    – Playing intervals: Minor 3rd: 3 semitones. Perfect 4th: 5 semitones. Perfect 5th: 7 semitones

Jar Of Hearts:
    – Obviously a great challenge for you to work on your transition and you are nearly there so well done
    – Keep working on the end part and we will look at technique more next time
    – Make sure you are reading the notes properly

Lights:
    – Not really the right song for your voice – too awkward to pick the right key!

Ain’t Got No:
    – PERFECT… it was MADE for you. Spend some time really learning this melody!

Viewing 20 replies - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.