Hello to all! Welcome to the singing student’s forum, a space to share support, gain resources and have fun with other singing students located across Bristol!

Charlotte Brooks

5 replies, 1 voice Last updated by  Eliza Jane Fyfe 1 day, 14 hours ago
  • Creator
    Topic

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant

Here are your lesson notes!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe
    Current Forum LeaderMaster Teacher / Student

Warm Ups:
    – Descending scales from around F above middle C, gradually bringing you back down into chest voice
    – Sing with the piano and make sure the notes aren’t sharp

Photograph:
    – Great work with the edit today, plus double tracking and harmonies!
    – Next time we will finish the main vocal edit, tidy up a few bits here and there, finish the harmonies and change those words!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Photograph:
    – Well practised, low notes are all in place now! And good work jumping up for the high notes
    – Make sure you don’t go too high on “photograph” and the high notes in the bridge
    – Make sure you’re not too harsh on the glottal stop
    – Loving the low notes! Much softer now
    – Work on notes for the last “wait for me to come home”
    – You have a lovely, clear tone – looking forward to finishing this. Have a listen below and go over what you feel you need to practice more
    – I don’t think you sound ill by the way – we could probably keep this take and just edit it!
    – Love the personal touches!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Photograph:
    – Well done playing and recording this today! It’s lovely – now practice singing a long, with my below melody guide to help with the very low notes vs. the very high octave jump into the chorus!
    – Then try on your own with the blank backing track below
    – We will record your vocal and harmonies next time 🙂

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups:
    – Great work with vowel scales, Bella Senoras & na/yeah scales (which you can go higher on in chest voice! Try and see if you can belt to a C)
    – Bella Senora (more of a “yaa” at the top to help you get the belted chest notes)

Photograph (learning on guitar in F):
    – Use chords I wrote up to teach yourself on piano to get ready to record for next time
    – It’s much lower than you think so find that low speaking tone for the verses
    – Chorus: a hushed breathy tone sounds good, with some chestier notes coming in on the more comfortable low notes. Maybe even try belting in later choruses when you get more confident
    – This song really suits your voice and is going to be a great gift when we get the piano and guitar recorded… and of course, your voice! We can get creative and add harmonies too.

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups (3 step process: Gentle diaphragm/slide warm ups, scales + arpeggios, increasing head voice e.g. na/yeah scales)
    – Stretching/Breathing (Please find attached the Welcome Pack (Body Conditioning and stretching at the bottom)
    – Fricatives (vv, zz, sch) + sirens + lip trills
    – Octave slides in a soft voice from E below middle C, then back down again. Let voice cut out if it wants to, rather than push it. The point is that you are exercising the muscle
    – Vowel Scales: Smoothing the transition from chest to head voice and back again
    – Bella Senoras: Think about whether to belt/head voice on the octave note as you get higher
    – To extend the chest voice: Na/yeah scales

My Immortal (sing to a karaoke):
    – Great range song! Practice getting a solid, deep sound for the verse, holding out right to the last word at the end of the line
    – Make sure it isn’t too breathy as this can cause you to go sharp
    – Move into a strong, pure head voice for “me alone” onwards (think of the yawn)
    – Time the breathing after “I’d” and allow the air to fall into your belly rather than taking an audible sharp breath and then rushing into the next word
    – Sounded much stronger by the end! Really great work

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.