Hello to all! Welcome to the singing student’s forum, a space to share support, gain resources and have fun with other singing students located across Bristol!

Charlotte Brooks

8 replies, 1 voice Last updated by  Eliza Jane Fyfe 5 months ago
  • Creator
    Topic

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant

Here are your lesson notes!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe
    Current Forum LeaderMaster Teacher / Student

Warm Ups:
    – Scales & Arpeggios a cappella
    – Na / yeah – full belt/strong head voice

My Immortal:
    – Careful with starting notes – not as low as you think (you’re just on the root note which you can hear in the bass of the piano)
    – Middle 8: “I tried so hard” starts on a D, so a little higher than you think! A hard note to find
    – A lot more smooth overall – you seem to have really found your control here!
    – Work on the last chorus and finding the belting voice!
    – Great work in the mic today – you were very natural with mic technique!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups:
    – Vowel Scales: Good work, just make sure you’re low enough for the lowest notes at the start
    – Bella Senora: Good work on the break for different syllables as you went higher
    – Na/yeah: Great belting, up to E!

My Immortal:
    – Work on finding your low starting note in the verses (A, the root of the chord)
    – Then work on jumping up to the high notes of “me alone / sanity” – G# to A
    – Middle 8: “I’ve tried so hard to tell myself that you’re gone (D E F# G# A…) jumping to high voice on “hard”
    But though you’re still with me (G#-A… C# on “still” and breaking into head voice on this word)
    I’ve been alone all along” (G#) – C# on alone, but this time sing in chest voice, then breathe before “along” for a long, powerful note!
    – Keep pace as it’s hard to hear in this bit!
    – The “true belt” really came out in the final chorus with the drums – epic! Don’t be shy, let’s really hear the car version of this 😉

Well done, good to have you back!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Photograph:
    – Really well done finishing this! You did so well and you’ve come so far since you started lessons. Let me know if you’re happy with the balance and if you need anything editing
    – Let me know what he thinks!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups:
    – Descending scales from around F above middle C, gradually bringing you back down into chest voice
    – Sing with the piano and make sure the notes aren’t sharp

Photograph:
    – Great work with the edit today, plus double tracking and harmonies!
    – Next time we will finish the main vocal edit, tidy up a few bits here and there, finish the harmonies and change those words!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Photograph:
    – Well practised, low notes are all in place now! And good work jumping up for the high notes
    – Make sure you don’t go too high on “photograph” and the high notes in the bridge
    – Make sure you’re not too harsh on the glottal stop
    – Loving the low notes! Much softer now
    – Work on notes for the last “wait for me to come home”
    – You have a lovely, clear tone – looking forward to finishing this. Have a listen below and go over what you feel you need to practice more
    – I don’t think you sound ill by the way – we could probably keep this take and just edit it!
    – Love the personal touches!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Photograph:
    – Well done playing and recording this today! It’s lovely – now practice singing a long, with my below melody guide to help with the very low notes vs. the very high octave jump into the chorus!
    – Then try on your own with the blank backing track below
    – We will record your vocal and harmonies next time 🙂

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups:
    – Great work with vowel scales, Bella Senoras & na/yeah scales (which you can go higher on in chest voice! Try and see if you can belt to a C)
    – Bella Senora (more of a “yaa” at the top to help you get the belted chest notes)

Photograph (learning on guitar in F):
    – Use chords I wrote up to teach yourself on piano to get ready to record for next time
    – It’s much lower than you think so find that low speaking tone for the verses
    – Chorus: a hushed breathy tone sounds good, with some chestier notes coming in on the more comfortable low notes. Maybe even try belting in later choruses when you get more confident
    – This song really suits your voice and is going to be a great gift when we get the piano and guitar recorded… and of course, your voice! We can get creative and add harmonies too.

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups (3 step process: Gentle diaphragm/slide warm ups, scales + arpeggios, increasing head voice e.g. na/yeah scales)
    – Stretching/Breathing (Please find attached the Welcome Pack (Body Conditioning and stretching at the bottom)
    – Fricatives (vv, zz, sch) + sirens + lip trills
    – Octave slides in a soft voice from E below middle C, then back down again. Let voice cut out if it wants to, rather than push it. The point is that you are exercising the muscle
    – Vowel Scales: Smoothing the transition from chest to head voice and back again
    – Bella Senoras: Think about whether to belt/head voice on the octave note as you get higher
    – To extend the chest voice: Na/yeah scales

My Immortal (sing to a karaoke):
    – Great range song! Practice getting a solid, deep sound for the verse, holding out right to the last word at the end of the line
    – Make sure it isn’t too breathy as this can cause you to go sharp
    – Move into a strong, pure head voice for “me alone” onwards (think of the yawn)
    – Time the breathing after “I’d” and allow the air to fall into your belly rather than taking an audible sharp breath and then rushing into the next word
    – Sounded much stronger by the end! Really great work

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.