Hello to all! Welcome to the singing student’s forum, a space to share support, gain resources and have fun with other singing students located across Bristol!

Martin Elsbury

114 replies, 2 voices Last updated by  Eliza Jane Fyfe 1 year ago
  • Creator
    Topic

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant

Here are all your notes for each lesson!

Viewing 14 replies - 101 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups (in mic):
    – Vowel Scales & Bella Senoras with dynamics – start soft, loud, to soft again, then the other way around. Just keep experimenting with it, using the mic as you can hear the effect a bit more clearly and also practice mic technique
    – Keep this going but with the Bella Senora Lucky 7 as this will be interesting dynamically

Crossroads:
    – If you give it all about 30% more, the soft notes won’t be weak
    – Much better overall

Bridge Over Troubled Water:
    – “When pain is all around, like a bridge…” work on the dynamic and intensity without the notes dipping out at the end of your breath

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Crossroads:
    – Great singing it in the live mic, no problems
    – Make sure you’re not holding on the consonants

– Great retake, building intensity now. Emailed it to you!
    – Work on the high part at the end, making sure the pitch doesn’t drop

Martin Elsbury
    Participant
    @Martin_Elsbury
    Student Forum LeaderMaster Teacher / Student

Thanks Eliza,

Yes, the recording of snippets is good. Its just what I need.
    Don’t think for one moment that I’m frustrated by it – I’m not. (After all its how I work when I’m editing. I don’t get to experience the finished film with all its emotional nuances until many weeks – or months – into the edit).

I was aware that I was really stressed out on Monday – Sorry about that. This week was always going to be a tricky one at work
    but I’ve been surprised by just how wound up I’ve become. My normal relaxation methods just haven’t worked!

Hopefully I’ll chill again soon!

Looking forward to the next lesson.

Martin.

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

– You still need a full voice and a suitable amount of power in order to get a clear yet soft sound
    – Don’t push too much on the “I’m” in “I’m on your side” – a little too much glottal stop and a swoop on “side”
    – Much better with a little more power on “like a bridge”
    – Keep thinking ahead when it comes to breathing
    – Have a listen to the improved first verse below and keep this going with the rest of the song
    – Hopefully the process of recording snippets at a time was useful, even though it takes the emotion out of it somewhat! It certainly hones in the technique in a very focused, cut down way!

Martin Elsbury
    Participant
    @Martin_Elsbury

Thanks for those positive comments Eliza! It sounds quite shakey/flakey to me at the moment – but I’ll trust your professional judgement. If you think there’s something there worth working with – then that’s what we’re going to do!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

– Great first take – see below and listen back so you are clear on what you may need to work on more
    – Increase your intensity with LESS pronunciation, not too heavy on the consonants and just letting the vowels resonate in your mouth. Being more closed can actually aid this!
    – Where there’s a couple of wobbles, just make sure you are connected to your diaphragm with every little movement of each note
    – This song is actually very well controlled, great dynamics and well interpreted. And you do have a very pleasant, sweet tone! We just need to build in some more power! Don’t be shy to go for it 😀

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups:
    – Bella Señora – “laaaa” nice and open and not “leeeeer”

– “eyes” and “hard” 3 note run if you want to try that
    – “commmmmmmmmmes” hold the vowel a little more
    – Don’t push too much at the start of each line

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Theory:
    – Major and minor, flattening the 3rd from major to make it minor (could be black or white) it’s about the maths not the colour of the keys
    – 4 semitones between the root and the 3rd and 3 semitones between the 3rd and the 5th of a major chord. The other way round for minor (3 then 4)

Try this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Arpeggios-Cadences-Alfreds-Library/dp/0739003682/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2FPNY7XQJ03PSK01YASM

– Remember you can have shorter words, giving you more space for breaths and flowing phrasing
    – “And friends just/and pain is” really belt this with real depth using a more open throat
    – Breathe after “bridge”!
    – Lovely runs
    – Don’t hold on a consonant
    – All in all, this is going really well and I’m looking forward to the rest of the journey!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups:
    – Strengthen the chest range and get faster at finding the mid-range (without hitting the octave below) I would play the scales from around the middle to see if you can find your note up high!

Bridge Over Troubled Water
    – Great work on this today, pushing to the G (as in Shine) with the version in D. Here is the piano backing track in D below, as well as one in C# if it’s more comfortable for you
    – Work on opening the throat like a yawn (Tom Jones style!) and finding strength from your belly and supporting the sound by squeezing the ab muscles (use Fricative warm ups to help you connect)
    – Alternatively, a nasal twang isn’t a bad idea for when the notes get really high. It doesn’t mean it stops coming from the belly, all singing does. But it’s about where you place the sound and how you’re getting it to resonate. Either the back of your throat for that warmer, open tone, or a thinner, twangy tone. I hope that makes sense…

Martin Elsbury
    Participant
    @Martin_Elsbury

Hi Eliza,

New song – You mentioned Bridge over Troubled Water as a possible next song for me. If you were serious then I’m certainly up for it!
    Does your backing track come from Caraoke Version? If so I could download it and have a listen before the next lesson – or if you don’t want me to move ahead of you too quickly I’ll understand – or if you’ve changed your mind about the song – just tell me to shut up and sit down!

Martin.

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Crossroads:
    – Great first recordings today! Compare your first and second take below (private, downloadable links)
    – Great work at making the vowels a little longer and more powerful
    – Just make sure you’re not pushing consonants too strongly or over-breathing – hopefully you can hear those moments
    – Good, solid sound and a great vocal overall!
    – Time to think of a new song unless you want a 3rd take of this one, or just a few corrections perhaps?

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups:
    – Bella Señora Lucky 7 – great work! Use the exercise on the website to practice!
    – Remember to pronounce “la” nice and widely and clearly!

Theory:
    – Intervals: the space between the notes. 3rds, 5ths etc. This refers to the space between the root note (1) and the next note (3, 5 etc)
    – Major and minor e.g. Bella Senoras are always major. How about trying to make them minor? The “la” would have to be flattened
    – Harmony in choirs is usually built by root, 3rd and 5ths. Like in the chorus of Shine, basses sing the root (1) while the altos and sopranos sing “oo” on the 3rd and 5th (but an octave higher)

Crossroads:
    – This is a lovely song. Keep practising with the below backing track I have created for you. Start singing 12 seconds in 🙂
    – Make sure you don’t hold consonants such as “ng” too long e.g. “nothing” but instead linger a little longer on the vowel: “nothiiiing”

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups:
    – Bella Señora Lucky 7 – great work! Use the exercise on the website to practice!
    – Remember to pronounce “la” nice and widely and clearly!

Theory:
    – Intervals: the space between the notes. 3rds, 5ths etc. This refers to the space between the root note (1) and the next note (3, 5 etc)
    – Major and minor e.g. Bella Senoras are always major. How about trying to make them minor? The “la” would have to be flattened
    – Harmony in choirs is usually built by root, 3rd and 5ths. Like in the chorus of Shine, basses sing the root (1) while the altos and sopranos sing “oo” on the 3rd and 5th (but an octave higher)

Crossroads:
    – This is a lovely song. Keep practising with the below backing track I have created for you. Start singing 12 seconds in 🙂
    – Make sure you don’t hold consonants such as “ng” too long e.g. “nothing” but instead linger a little longer on the vowel: “nothiiiing”

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

First Lesson Notes – 30.3.17

Warm Ups:
    – You can find all your warm ups on your website page, as well as the Welcome Pack and Song Catalogue. The Welcome Pack includes details of Body Conditioning at the bottom
    – Great work today with your range – a few falsetto notes at the top but mainly a consistent, strong chest voice

Shine:
    – It’s all about tactical breathing. It’s not about a bigger breath, but smaller breaths more often, which make each line that bit choppier!
    – Think about the reflex of shouting/calling out – “hey!” “oi!” “yeah!” and use the same energy in a song, without needing to think about breathing or straining on high notes – think of being above all the notes – nothing is out of reach 🙂

Happy practising and see you on 8th April at 3.15pm!

Viewing 14 replies - 101 through 114 (of 114 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.