Hello to all! Welcome to the singing student’s forum, a space to share support, gain resources and have fun with other singing students located across Bristol!

Zoe Reed

52 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Eliza Jane Fyfe 1 year, 9 months ago
  • Creator
    Topic
    Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant

Here are all your notes for each lesson!

Viewing 12 replies - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

My Funny Valentine:
    – Work on building dynamics, to add energy and passion to future performances/recordings! It only has to be slight – feel the notes swell bigger in certain places, as demonstrated in the lesson. E.g. pushing towards the end of the line
    – Use Bella Senoras to grow in volume as you get higher, breaking any barriers and not shying away from the bigger sound!
    – Keep going with this and see how you get on, perhaps singing with this:

New Songs:
    – Take a look at the song catalogue and see if anything else takes your fancy!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

End Of The Road:
    – Great work with the live practice in the mic – it’s ready to go!
    – Practice the second verse using the recording I emailed so that you don’t have to worry about those low “maybe”s!

Full Lyrics:

“End Of The Road”

[Verse:]
    We belong together
    And you know that I’m right
    Why do you play with my heart?
    Why do you play with my mind?

Said we’d be forever
    Said it’d never die
    How could you love me and leave me
    And never say goodbye?

When I can’t sleep at night without holding you tight
    Boy, each time I try I just break down and cry
    Pain in my head oh I’d rather be dead
    Spinnin’ around and around

[Chorus:]
    Although we’ve come to the end of the road
    Still I can’t let go
    It’s unnatural, you belong to me, I belong to you
    Come to the end of the road
    Still I can’t let go

Boy, I know you really love me,
    You just don’t realize
    You’ve never been there before
    It’s only your first time

Maybe I’ll forgive you, hmm
    Maybe you’ll try
    We should be happy together
    Forever, you and I

Will you love me again like you loved me before
    This time I want you to love me much more
    Pain in my head oh I’d rather be dead
    Spinnin’ around and around

[Chorus:]
    Although we’ve come to the end of the road
    Still I can’t let go
    Still I can’t let go

[Chorus — a cappella:]
    Still I can’t let go
    Still I can’t let go

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

End Of The Road:
    – Great harmonies – very well recorded! I emailed your complete recording plus version just with harmonies on their own for you to practice to (Soundcloud didn’t let me upload it!)
    – Just focus on being in perfect timing with the harmonies

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

End Of The Road:
    – Sounding nicely, cleanly very pop!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups:
    – Tapping into your reflex and core muscles, acting quickly in order to sustain solid notes without losing breath (straight into na/yeahs perhaps)
    – Hold notes then quick breaths before next scale

End Of The Road:
    – Sounding good – use the memos I’ve emailed to you to guide you with the second verse and the runs
    – Next time we will make the track your own and add harmonies!

Zoe Reed
    Participant
    @Zoe_Reed

Hi Eliza,

I wanted to ask about using backing tracks for recordings. Obviously at this stage this is just for myself so I’ve been using ones on youtube, but what happens in the future if I want to make a soundcloud account or something? I’m guessing there are a whole load of copyright issues around this, so what are the kind of things that are allowed and not allowed here? Would I need to make my own backing tracks or is this still copyright?

We can talk about this in my next lesson if that’s easier, but it’s just something I was curious about…

Thanks,

Zoe

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups:
    – Bella Señora Lucky 7 – try not to run out of breath

Say A Little Prayer:
    – Middle 8 (“Darling believe me”) straight after second chorus, then a chorus
    – Back to the Middle 8 and double chorus at end
    – Practice going to a pure, (almost operatic) head voice from chest voice (“me” and “you”) nice open vowels

End Of The Road (with the instrumental and in the mic):
    – This really suits your voice! I really like it
    – Low notes: Make them quiet and husky (they’ll be amplified well in the mic, like today!)
    – Practice the second verse a bit more and work out what you’re going to do for that run
    – Longer and wider notes for “miiiind” and “goodbyeeee”

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Oh great! That all sounds good. So many versions of My Funny Valentine so have a good ole explore online and maybe we can record you singing it to a karaoke if you can turn it around that quickly in time for Valentine’s? Or you can do it in your own mic 🙂

Happy practising!

Zoe Reed
    Participant
    @Zoe_Reed

Hi Eliza,

I’ve just been playing around with my new mic and trying to record some stuff. I was singing read all about it and thought it might be a good one to practice with regards to my breathing. I get VERY out of breath doing the verses on this one and it’s one I quite like to sing so thought if there is a way to control this better than that would be good 🙂

Don’t worry I’ve also been practising the other stuff!

Also I think it was the my funny valentine song I particuarly liked from your suggestions.

See you next week.

Zoe

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

End Of The Road:
    Work with this instrumental:

– Don’t worry about all the crazy runs, just sing it in your own way, adjusting the melody where necessary, and even the lyrics if you want!
    – We will record a bit of it next time with harmony ideas too 🙂

Say A Little Prayer – Ebm
    – Don’t be ashamed to really belt it!
    – Tactical breathing in the chorus

You’re singing it naturally in Bbm a cappella – obviously more comfortable as it’s a lot lower but be careful not to miss the lower starting notes of the verses at the start

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups:
    – Lots of na/yeah scales to get your strong, connected (by that I mean support from your ab muscles) chest voice

Say A Little Prayer:
    – Practice the transition from “for” to “you” strong and loud on “for” then pure and relaxed, open throat for “you” – this will take practice! Plus you have to do it from the line before so you can hold it without losing air
    – Keep those notes like “now” held strong right till the end, using your abs and trying not to let any air slip out
    – Great chorus – keep giving it more because there’s always more there! It’s the only way to keep it going. Just trust yourself!

Perhaps have a listen of End Of The Road and think about how you might like to sing it

Jazz homework! This needs urgent attention 😉
    To get you started: My Funny Valentine, Cry Me A River, Summertime, At Last, Feeling Good. Anything by Postmodern Jukebox for further ideas!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups:
    – Lots of na/yeah scales to get your strong, connected (by that I mean support from your ab muscles) chest voice

Say A Little Prayer:
    – Practice the transition from “for” to “you” strong and loud on “for” then pure and relaxed, open throat for “you” – this will take practice! Plus you have to do it from the line before so you can hold it without losing air
    – Keep those notes like “now” held strong right till the end, using your abs and trying not to let any air slip out
    – Great chorus – keep giving it more because there’s always more there! It’s the only way to keep it going. Just trust yourself!

Perhaps have a listen of End Of The Road and think about how you might like to sing it

Jazz homework! This needs urgent attention 😉
    To get you started: My Funny Valentine, Cry Me A River, Summertime, At Last, Feeling Good. Anything by Postmodern Jukebox for further ideas!

Viewing 12 replies - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.