Hello to all! Welcome to the Music Teachersโ€™ Forum, a space to share support, network and have fun with other music teachers located across the globe.

If you have a question, from how to deal with lesson cancellations to the best resources for your lessons, that you would like other music teachers to help you with don’t hesitate to post it here.

Please note: although this is a closed group, it is not a private group. For Questions / Support / To Report Abuse – please email:Send Mail

Exercises to Develop Perfect Pitch (Singing Teachers)

5 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Veronica Wakeling 1 year, 2 months ago
  • Creator
    Topic
    Beckie Tunnicliffe
    Participant

Ok everyone got a question for you all – does anyone have any exercises to develop perfect pitch for a 6 year old?
    I’ve recently discovered she has perfect pitch, but I don’t have it (unfortunately) and I’ve never taught anyone with it before! What do you suggest? ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Matt Pocock
    Participant
    @mattpocock

Perfect pitch as in she can pick notes out of the air? Wow, that’s crazy ๐Ÿ™‚ Sounds like an ideal student, what kind of exercises do you need?

Beckie Tunnicliffe
    Participant
    @Beckie_Oldham

Well it’s very, very basic at the moment, she does piano lessons as well and I can play a short tune and she only has to half-look and she can play it back perfectly. I think with development she will be able to just pick notes out of the air but I just don’t know any exercises to do this.

I have the aural tests for ABRSM exams but there must be some more ‘fun’ ways for a 6 year old haha!

Matt Pocock
    Participant
    @mattpocock

Ok cool – I have an exercise called ‘chord farming’, where you teach them the harmonic rules of a minor chord, major chord etc, then give them the first note and say ‘hum all the notes of a minor chord’. Gets them thinking about the relative notes of that scale. I usually use it on older kids but you can make it more game-like for her ๐Ÿ™‚ Was that the kind of thing you were thinking about?

Beckie Tunnicliffe
    Participant
    @Beckie_Oldham

That’s brilliant thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚

Veronica Wakeling
    Participant
    @Veronica-Wakeling

How to pick the right notes out of the air,like magic.The song Doe a deer,Ray a drop of golden sun,Me a name I call my self ,Far a long long way to run,Sew a needle pulling thread…etc…is in the key of C Major,so as long as the student has the song in the head with Do the lead note they are able to change that to cdefgabc drmfsltd.So if you ask for E flat its,me a name I call myself in the song …The clever bit follows of sharps and flats too..if you like it …come back Cheers Veronica.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.