Hello to all! Welcome to the Music Teachers’ forum, a space to share support, network and have fun with other music teachers located across the UK and beyond.

Group Guidelines

How To Build Confidence? (Singing Teachers)

27 replies, 6 voices Last updated by  Eliza Jane Fyfe 3 years, 6 months ago
  • Creator
    Topic

Wes Bond
    Participant

Hi guys!

So I teach this 18 year old girl who has a really nice voice, however, she has absolutely no confidence!

She will sing a song that she knows really well really nicely but in an extremely quiet voice and whenever I try to get her to do warm ups she freezes.

She will do something and then all of a sudden say she can’t and goes mute. She’s really good and all she needs is a little bit of confidence and she will go a long way. She must say I can’t at least 50 times in a lesson.

So what do I do with her to help build her confidence when she isn’t even confident enough to sing warm ups or scales?

Thanks 🙂

Viewing 7 replies - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Thanks Kat! Also, could you describe the difference between the cry sound, so tilting the larynx, and the pharyngeal sounds? Because tilting the larynx isn’t necessarily dropping it like a yawn, is it?

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Also, I’m working on that exact thing (the flip) with a woman atm who is very belty but in a theatrical/diva way, and we are trying to introduce more twang which is working really well, but she hates how she still flips into head voice when going even higher! I have told her she can and should still allow this, but maybe make the sound more narrow and breathy so it doesn’t sound too “heady”. She’s doing Think by Aretha. Perhaps the cry would help here..?

Kat Hunter
    Participant
    @Kat_Hunter

So… this get’s a little crazy, but here’s what I believe to be true.

– bratty and witchy sounds both adduct and thin the vocal folds with a higher-than-normal but stable larynx position.
    – a sobbing sound (or a cry if it sounds sobby – sometimes it’s hard to know we’re talking about the same sound!) again adducts the vocal folds but with a somewhat lower larynx position.
    – a dopey sound only lowers the larynx without necessarily causing more adduction (in fact in many cases it will lessen adduction. In other cases it will simply deepen the level of adduction so that more of the “belly of the fold” (vocalis muscle) is used in vibration).

Now… the word tilt is really kinda misleading. The fact is that your thyroid cartilage will tilt whenever the cricothyroid muscle is used. And this is the main method of stretching the vocal folds (ie. making a higher pitch). So really, regardless of the quality of the tone, the cricothyroid muscle is primarily involved in pitch-making. But I’ve heard a lot of people with estill backgrounds talking a whole lot about “tilt”, so maybe there’s something going on here? You’d have to explain it to me 😉

Kat Hunter
    Participant
    @Kat_Hunter

As for your student, it’s hard to say without hearing. But as far as I know, Think is in Bflat, and it’s reeeallly high.
    The top “freedom” notes are around F5, which is truly getting into second bridge/passagio! So if she’s not totally comfortable in middle voice yet, getting into head voice may just take time.
    My only thought is that given how many Bflats are in this song, that’s dangerous territory for a really chest dominant singer unless she can mix well (I think Adele would just about keel over!). But like I said, it’s hard to know what’s going on without hearing her, and if she’s using twang to thin out and keep the folds adducted, chances are you’re definitely on the right track!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Great – that just about makes sense – thanks. Yes – Estill people love the tilt!

Lily Moharrer
    Participant
    @Lily_Moharrer

I love this thread <3

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Me too!

Viewing 7 replies - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.