Hello to all! Welcome to the Music Teachers’ forum, a space to share support, network and have fun with other music teachers located across the UK and beyond.

Group Guidelines

Lesson Lengths – Do 45 Minute Lessons Really Work? (All Teachers)

2 replies, 2 voices Last updated by  Phil Schneider 1 month, 3 weeks ago
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #11441 Reply

Phil Schneider
    Participant

I introduced two lengths 60 or 45 minutes lessons. I now have more 45s. I cant figure out if i get more students paying less or fewer students paying more. Would the 45 minuters have gone elsewhere or would they have paid for the 60mins Anyone got similar experiences ?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #11579 Reply

Matthew Rusk
    Keymaster
    @Matthew-Rusk

This is a great question, Eliza Fyfe down in Bristol is convinced that 45 mins works better as you can fit more students in paying a relatively higher per hour price across an evenings teaching. I guess it all comes down to price points and whether the 45 minute lesson is weighted higher per hour than the per hour lesson if that makes sense. So x4 45 min lessons @£25 = £100 and x3 60 min lessons @£30 = £90, means that the 45 min lessons works out better for the teacher across 3 hours teaching.
    I also found 45 min lessons worked really well for teenage students (although I know you don’t teach them) as 45 mins was just about the right amount of time that they really concentrated for. I think it might be linked to schools like mine where 50 min lessons were the norm.

#11887 Reply

Phil Schneider
    Participant
    @Phil_Schneider

I think the price point thery is correct having two price point gives more options. I am having a higher uptake ot this 45 length. Suitable for beginners too.

Not mentioned is if I can fit in an extra student it means the dreaded cancelations are a smaller percent of lost income.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Lesson Lengths – Do 45 Minute Lessons Really Work? (All Teachers)
Your information: