Hello to all! Welcome to the Music Teachers’ Forum, a space to share support, network and have fun with other music teachers located across the globe.

If you have a question, from how to deal with lesson cancellations to the best resources for your lessons, that you would like other music teachers to help you with don’t hesitate to post it here.

Please note: although this is a closed group, it is not a private group. For Questions / Support / To Report Abuse – please email:Send Mail

Teaching Students How To Harmonise (Singing Teachers)

1 reply, 2 voices Last updated by Eliza Jane Fyfe 4 years, 1 month ago
  • Creator
    Topic
    Wes Bond
    Participant

Hi guys!

Students can always improve but I am aware that there comes a time when students become very good at singing melodies to songs but have no idea how to sing harmonies or even what a harmony is. I like to mix things up a bit and for those students who are good singers give them a bit of an extra challenge.

So I was wondering what kinds of excersizes/techniques you guys use to teach harmonies?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Great question! I am the harmony queen (!) and my students probably think I’m weirdly obsessed with getting them to chuck a harmony on to every bloody chorus they record in a song!

However, I could really do with finding out about harmony exercises! I should know this as a choir leader too… I have done some scales in harmony (e.g. I sing G-G and get the student to sing the 3rd above, then we swap) and teach a bit of theory… that’s it really!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.