Hello to all! Welcome to the Music Teachers’ forum, a space to share support, network and have fun with other music teachers located across the UK and beyond.

Group Guidelines

The Great Breathing Debate (Singing Teachers)

22 replies, 5 voices Last updated by  Eliza Jane Fyfe 3 years, 8 months ago
  • Creator
    Topic

Kat Hunter
    Participant

We’ve talked about this on the facebook so I decided it was time to make it happen. These are some things I’d be interested to hear about from you guys, but feel free to wax lyrical and tangentialise where necessary :).

1. Do you choose to teach breathing yes/no? Do you teach it for all students or only some?

2. If/when you do teach breathing, what are your aims? And what is the perceived result in the student when these aims are achieved (physically, sonically, psychologically etc.)?

3. How much time do you typically spend on breathing (per lesson or per student)? Do you see it as a pillar of technique that must be worked at repeatedly, or is it more “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”?

Go!

Viewing 2 replies - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

The diaphragm isn’t active during singing?! Oh my god. But that’s what I teach everyone, to feel the power from your belly… I can feel it right now as I sing!

The out-breath focus is brilliant and I’m now really into fricatives 🙂 and yes I’ve seen this lovely gif already Matt, as I am now a bit of a Pocock Follower. What do you think you’ll name your fans?

Kat Hunter
    Participant
    @Kat_Hunter

@Matt, thanks for the AWESOME explanation. And I’ll look out for you now I know you’re on the singing reddit too! Although now I see it, you’ve said SLS is “rubbish”. Pretty huge call there. As someone who teaches what is basically SLS technique, I’d love to see your justification for that one!

Also, for clarification, if the diaphragm isn’t active during singing, then what would you say are the muscles used to create the slow controlled exhale used for singing? Or are you saying the resistance is all at the throat/mouth level?

Viewing 2 replies - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.