Eliza Jane Fyfe replied to the topic Student retention. How many lessons do students take? (All Teachers) in the forum Music Teachers Forum 1 week, 4 days ago
So I have a singing lesson anniversary spreadsheet, and this post prompted me to update it!
Subsequently, I found this info fun to work out (I know how to have fun on a Friday night):
Out of 33 active students, this is how many have been having regular lessons and how long for:
12 of them: 2 months-1 year (36.3%)
14 of them: Over a year-4 years…[Read more]
Eliza Jane Fyfe replied to the topic Somerset music tutor network – Guitar, Vocal and GCSE/A Level Music Tutors (All Teachers) in the forum Music Teachers Forum 2 months, 1 week ago
I am a singing teacher based in Bristol and have a network of teachers who meet up regularly for meetings, workshops and put on concerts for our students. The meetings in between are certainly useful as you’re right – it is an isolating world being a self-employed music teacher! I run a choir too and other teachers have been down…[Read more]
Leaderboard points have been reset – so the race is on for who can pick up the most points by the end of 2019! A small price will go to the winner – with the winner being whoever is in the number 1 position at midnight on the 31st December 2019. @eliza-fyfe – you will need to start picking up some more points again to be top 😀
Hi Eliza, are you feeling better now after your illness? Was worried about you at the end of the party – how are you feeling now? 🙂
Hi Matthew, I am finally on the mend! I had 6 weeks of on-off illness and being in bed. It sucked! Thanks for checking in. It’s such a shame my birthday was ruined for me, but I did love the night?!
Glad you enjoyed it – it was a great night! Was awesome to finally meet your parents as well – your Dad & I had a long talk about politics alongside a few beers 😀
Oh that’s so lovely! Carolin said she had a great chat with you too. Thanks for coming and making more effort than I could with everyone! xx
So I can’t help but feel quite upset about what happened on Saturday. I’ve been teaching 2 lovely kids, a brother and sister, for a year now. They alternate lessons and therefore haven’t cancelled due to illness, because if one is ill, the other one comes instead. But on Saturday, they were both ill and the mum cancelled just before the lesson.…[Read more]
– So I’ve sent you the track so far with new middle 8 AND click to help you practice if you want to have a go, but please don’t drive yourself mad over it as it isn’t easy (and I’ve swung the piano so that will take time to get used to!)
Now, don’t be helplessly blue yourself. Because this doesn’t help anyone.
The Longest Time:
– GREAT work today!!!
– Let’s perfect next time and tighten up for the Halloween showcase on 21st Oct!
– Note PERFECT next time please! Then we can work on dynamics and pace
– Great work on this today – remember the second chorus is half the length
– Work on the longer lines in the 2nd verse
– Practise your own re-worked version of the last choruses, gradually building from a higher belt to a head voice octave. Have some fun with it!
Purple People Eater:
– A question which occurred to me: are the people purple, or is the people eater purple?
– Great work on this today! Much fun had. I have emailed you your backing track in the adjusted higher key of G (tuned up from the original key of D) as well as the hilarious higher key version. Have fun practising!
– Emailed so far: Great idea with 3rd song
– Think about how you’ll knit each section of the song!
– Music Theory
– Grades (8!)
Check out the vocal syllabus for grades here: https://www.rslawards.com/rockschool/graded-exams/vocals/
Who’s Loving You for hospital gig – confirmed – this is what one of the piano students wanted to learn anyway!
Grade 8 Theory:
– Natural Minor scale (flatten 3rd, 6th and 7th notes)
– Dominant…[Read more]
All I Ask:
– Great work finishing this! I have emailed it to you!
– Barriers – write piano track
– Rise Up: Live versions (preferable Andra Day)
– Only Love Can Hurt Like This
Have a think about soul/jazz tunes to challenge
– Great work with this on the guitar! Complex chords! Great solo!
I emailed what we recorded today!
We can carry on next time but also think of a song for 14th Oct (we forgot to chat about this) and also the Halloween showcase!
Harmony Warm Ups:
– Great work and thanks for introducing Justine
Glitter & Gold:
– Great work sorting out the round section. Time to learn the final section!
– Songs for open mic / showcase: Glitter & Gold & Gimme Shelter, Glitter & Gold being the priority
Keep learning – parts to be sent soon! I’ll warn you I have a crazy week ahead so…[Read more]
1.9.18 – Double
Stay With Me:
– Sounded lovely today – find your comfortable soft sound!
I’m Not The Only One:
– Great for range as we said before. Just get to know the melody more
– Great work finishing this – will send separate parts soon!
I Like It / Finesse Mashup:
– Really well done with the Finesse verse & bridge recording! Sounds great as we start adding the double tracking too!
– I’ll edit your track when I have more time! Hectic week ahead… we’ll finish off next week and I’ll probably do the final edit then
Halloween Song Ideas:
Sucker For…[Read more]
- Load More