Hello to all! Welcome to the singing student’s forum, a space to share support, gain resources and have fun with other singing students located across Bristol!

Martin Elsbury

114 replies, 2 voices Last updated by Eliza Jane Fyfe 1 year, 5 months ago
  • Creator
    Topic
    Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant

Here are all your notes for each lesson!

Viewing 20 replies - 81 through 100 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Martin Elsbury
    Participant
    @Martin_Elsbury
    Student Forum LeaderMaster Teacher / Student

I know this is a choir thing not a singing lesson thing but the principles are the same: I meant to say after choir on Wednesday that your practical demo of flattening something to minor from major was really useful. I’m finding little hints of theory like that are great for me. (The intervals stuff as well). It will take a while for these things to embed themselves in my intuitive knowledge data bank – but the more you do, the more chance there is that something will stick. Keep doing them please!

Martin Elsbury
    Participant
    @Martin_Elsbury

Oh, and another thing which I’ll mention now because the situation will change very quickly I’m sure, I’m currently just one point behind Stefan on the leader board!

Of course it doesn’t mean anything to me because I don’t have a competitive cell in my body. But even so ….!!

Martin Elsbury
    Participant
    @Martin_Elsbury

Hi Eliza,

Thanks for your enthusiastic response to the new song! I’ll try some melody ideas out sometime when I have a chance and send them through….

I really enjoyed laying down those Cursed Anna harmonies yesterday – Great Fun!

Thanks.

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Songwriting:
    – The new song is brilliant! Looking forward to hearing a melody for this

Ballad Of Cursed Anna:
    – Good lead vocal recording and great work at the rumbling low harmonies! I have emailed you the track with just harmonies as well as with all vocals!
    – Have a listen to where it goes slightly sharp and practice this more

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Number Warm Ups:
    – 1 2 3 4 5 (5 note scale)
    – 1 3 5 8 5 3 1 (Bella Senora arpeggios)
    – Try with clicks, claps and bobs!
    – Good for strengthening your muscle memory

Ballad Of Cursed Anna:
    – Watch out you don’t go sharp on the end of the penultimate lines of the verses
    – Perhaps not the slide on “perfume” just look at that verse a little more
    – Great accent changes and going from talking to singing! Great skills!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Ballad Of Cursed Anna:
    – Great that we’ve sorted the chords, speed and structure! Now enjoy practising to it. Let me know if it’s too fast!
    – Work on the lines where it’s a bit of a mouthful, or coming in early

Martin Elsbury
    Participant
    @Martin_Elsbury

Thanks Eliza,

I love it!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road:
    – Great work completing this today! Lots of careful attention to detail with pronunciation and general flow of the words
    – Great harmonies

Listen below:

Martin Elsbury
    Participant
    @Martin_Elsbury

Thanks Eliza,

Really enjoyed the recording tonight. Fancy me discovering triplet rhythm without ever having heard of it! Looking forward to the next stage!

Martin.

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

– Great first recording, looking forward to layering!
    – Sounds very smooth and not too pronounced which is a great improvement
    – Not too much on the high notes
    – Liking the changed rhythm from swung to triplets in the next line, works well

Will continue on Sat!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Imaginate Middle 8:
    – D Em Bm A (see memo recording)
    – Simple floaty minimal lyrics or what you need to use from your already written lyrics
    – Standard pop song structure (without bridge): follow V V C V C M8 C V C

– Sounds great – just add the down swoops and make sure it keeps flowing – it’s a great practice for your songwriting melodies as there’s a lot of words that you have to sing smoothly!
    – Ready to record next time!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

– B is the perfect key and it shows off all the best parts of your voice!
    – You’ve nailed the pitch so now it’s just phrasing. Gentle, flowing and swooping bits, trailing off at the end of some of the lines
    – You can still breathe at the end of each line, just don’t hit the word/consonant too strongly on the fresh breath
    – It’s going to be beautiful, especially when we add harmonies!

Here is the backing track to practice to:

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

– B is the perfect key and it shows off all the best parts of your voice!
    – You’ve nailed the pitch so now it’s just phrasing. Gentle, flowing and swooping bits, trailing off at the end of some of the lines
    – You can still breathe at the end of each line, just don’t hit the word/consonant too strongly on the fresh breath
    – It’s going to be beautiful, especially when we add harmonies!

Here is the backing track to practice to:

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Always A Woman:
    – Practice singing hardly moving your mouth or pushing on any of the consonants. It flows more like a river this way!
    – It’s great that you can hear the swooping in your voice and you’re editing it well! It seems to happen more on the lower notes
    – Great harmony work on the chorus today – I sang the 3rd above (which you can practice by all means, we’ll record you doing it next time) and then the 3rd below for the second half. I sang in parallel to the melody
    – “Oo”s and “ahh”s or humming is great for that instrumental and overlap, for more subtle harmonies that are more still on one note

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Bridge Over Troubled Water (Performance Prep):
    – Sing the final verse higher (Eb then D, use the memo recording as your guide)
    – Remember no breath on “all” and then not too strong on “I’m” for the next line
    – On Sunday: Practice going from the low, relaxed voice to the powerful twang WITHOUT going breathy!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups:
    – Lots of na/yeahs to help with twang (as you’ll need it for the 3rd verse of BOTB!)

Bridge Over Troubled Water:
    – Great work with adding the harmonies today – beautiful! I have emailed you this (with a nicer piano sound too, hooray!)
    – Great work with improving the last verse too – it’s all about finding that power from placement – getting the strength of the note by placing the resonance more in your mouth, moving your mouth less and going for it! It’s a difficult balance but you definitely got it towards the end

Martin Elsbury
    Participant
    @Martin_Elsbury

So, about those higher notes (always a woman)…. I’ve just had a really good session at Factory – but struggled with the chorus – which is much higher that whats on either side of it. I know I said last week that I could probably stretch to it – but It didn’t feel like it was in reach this morning! Its fine if I sing the chorus an octave lower but I suspect that’s not allowed(!) – And it would affect the overall dynamics of the song.

Lets try again and discuss further at the next lesson. I’m sure we can find a way!

Martin Elsbury
    Participant
    @Martin_Elsbury

Thanks Eliza,

Looking forward to working with these!

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

– Great run through without interruption – great energy. The power is really helping you get clear, strong notes
    – Work on the last verse a little more, especially the high bit

– I’ll have to make a track for you in order to sing along, so watch this space…

Always A Woman:
    – Great for your voice, just needs to be a little more free-flowing with the open vowel sounds! And not strained on the higher notes 🙂

Eliza Jane Fyfe
    Participant
    @Eliza-Fyfe

Warm Ups:
    – Firstly, work on the power of the diaphragm – effortless fricatives without thinking about breathing and finding the reflex
    – Na/yeah for the higher range where you place the resonance in your mouth. Glottal stop with the higher range

Crossroads:
    – Great dynamics and tone

– Use all that power from today in your next rehearsal Factory Studios
    – Keep going over small sections
    – Great work when really going for it

Viewing 20 replies - 81 through 100 (of 114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.