Hello to all! Welcome to the Music Teachers’ forum, a space to share support, network and have fun with other music teachers located across the UK and beyond.

Group Guidelines

HELP! New student with Nodules has arrived! What to do?! (Singing Teachers)

4 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Matt Pocock 2 years, 7 months ago
  • Creator
    Topic

Lily Moharrer
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I have started teaching a new student who has mentioned that she has had nodules on her vocal folds all of her life. Do I act cool and calm and teach her like any other student or is there a specific “nodule student” handbook I must invest in immediately?! Hahaha.

Hope all is well,
    L x

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Matt Pocock
    Participant
    @mattpocock

Send her to a voice therapist/SLT/ENT straight away! I’d also recommend not taking her on as a student. She should probably be on vocal rest and doing SLT exercises to mitigate the blisters on her folds, not engaging in vigorous voice work!

Lily Moharrer
    Participant
    @Lily_Moharrer

Hi Matt,

I completely agree! I panicked a little when she told me – I’ll definitely discontinue lessons. I don’t feel trained enough should anything go wrong.

Thank you for the advice 🙂
    L x

Matt Pocock
    Participant
    @mattpocock

Absolutely 🙂 If you feel comfortable, your student will feel comfortable – but the reverse is also true!

Kat Hunter
    Participant
    @Kat_Hunter

I agree with all the above. She needs to get an ok from an ENT before taking the next step with her voice.

That said, if she’s had nodules for a LONG time (as in she got hard nodules as a kid that never went away and were not removed – I’ve taught a student like this before), and is considered ready to work on her voice, working with a voice teacher will help her develop a more sustainable way of using her voice in speaking and singing, which can only be a good thing.

But yes, even if she gets the “OK”, don’t feel like you have to take her on. Like Matt said, if you’re not confident, it will rub off on the student.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.